PEARL JEWELRY CARE INSTRUCTIONS
We strongly recommend that you care for your pearl jewelry by following the instructions listed below to maintain your piece. Pearls are known to be timeless. Pearls are organic gems that require special care to maintain their beauty. Our guidelines reveal the best methods to store, handle, and properly clean your pearls.
HOW TO CLEAN PEARLS
Clean with a damp cloth only as needed. If your pearls are visibly stained, you can mix a solution of lukewarm water and chemical-free, mild dish soap, dip a soft cleaning cloth in it, and wipe the pearls. Do NOT submerge pearl jewelry in water, as it will weaken the silk thread.
Let them dry all the way before storing. Again, this helps preserve the elasticity of the strand.
Never clean pearls with steam or ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. Both of these methods are likely to damage the outer layer of the pearl.
Keep pearls away from chlorine bleach, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, ammonia, hairspray, perfume, and cosmetics, as these substances will damage the pearl surface.
PEARL MAINTENANCE TIPS
- Pearls are commonly passed down to become a treasured family heirloom. Make sure your pearls last long enough to achieve heirloom status by following these maintenance tips:
- Last on, first off. Pearls should be the final touch to your outfit. Avoid applying makeup, hairspray, lotion, or perfume once your pearls are on.
- Gently wipe pearls with a soft cloth to remove sweat, fragrance, excess oils, or dirt before putting them away.
- Pearls should be stored away from other objects or jewelry that may scratch their surfaces. Wrap the pearls in their original box provided by Polite Worldwide or in linen, soft cloth, or place in a soft pouch.
- Store them flat. Store pearl necklaces flat to prevent them from stretching. Avoid hanging the pearl necklace on a hook for storage; this places unnecessary strain on the silk and stretches out the necklace.
- Dedicate a space just for your pearls. Pearls are prone to scratches without proper care, so store them separately in fabric-lined compartments.
- Do not submerge your pearls in water - we recommend no showers, baths, saunas, or swimming while wearing your pearls. Soaking the silk your pearls are strung on causes it to stretch out and break early.
- You should remove your pearls before engaging in sports or exercise to avoid exposing your pearls to perspiration or risking the chance they will break.
- You should remove your pearls before going to bed. We suggest that you not sleep in your pearls. The string can become weakened and strained to increase the risk of breaking.
- Wear your pearls often. Pearls do best in a moist environment, so wearing them frequently keeps them from drying out and helps to maintain them to look their best.
- Restring pearls once every two to three years, or once a year if you wear them weekly. We provide repair and maintenance so that we can re-string or repair your jewelry as needed.
Repairs are included with every jewelry purchase. Please email us at email@example.com to have your piece cleaned, repaired, or adjusted as needed.